The Biosafety Level 3 (BSL-3) facility at IFSH is one of the first in the country specifically designed to study the behavior of pathogens and virulent organisms in real-world food processing conditions. The laboratory and bio-containment pilot plant have been independently certified at BSL-3 level with a total of 7000 square feet for research and validation of pilot-plant scale food processing equipment.
Facility Highlights Include
- Large BSL-3 laboratory for product analysis.
- Approximately 1,500 sq. feet of pilot plant area with plug & run capability.
- Certified for BSL-3 operation for use in validating processing methods with pathogens.
- Capable of housing most pilot and commercial equipment from produce washers to extruders.
- Three phase power with water and steam sources in the containment area.
- Full containment for handling large quantities of pathogens or processes that generate aerosols.
- Ability to handle large volumes (up to 600 gallons or 100 lbs) of pathogenic organisms in produce.
- Whole room decontamination system for disinfecting processing equipment and surfaces.
- Effluent decontamination and disposal system for all liquid waste.
Membership Application Process
Business Development & Communication Manager