Training & Materials
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Course
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Blended Course
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Lead Instructor Training
Selection Criteria for Lead Instructor
Submit a Lead Instructor Application
Lead Instructor Course Schedule
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Participant Manual (English)
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Participant Manual v1.2 (Chinese)
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Participant Manual v1.2 S1 (Spanish)
FSPCA-Errata-Sheet-for-Versions-1.0-1.1 for Participants
FSPCA PCHF Errata Sheet for Version 1.2 for Instructors/Participants
FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Courses
FSVP Module for Preventive Controls
The Current Good Manufacturing Practice, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Food regulation (referred to as the Preventive Controls for Human Food regulation) is intended to ensure safe manufacturing/processing, packing and holding of food products for human consumption in the United States. The regulation requires that certain activities must be completed by a “preventive controls qualified individual” who has “successfully completed training in the development and application of risk-based preventive controls”. This course developed by the FSPCA is the “standardized curriculum” recognized by FDA; successfully completing this course is one way to meet the requirements for a “preventive controls qualified individual.”
These courses are taught by Lead Instructors trained by the FSPCA, who have been instructed in how to teach the FDA-recognized standardized curriculum.
This course is a prerequisite to the FSPCA PREVENTIVE CONTROLS FOR HUMAN FOOD LEAD INSTRUCTOR TRAINING course.
This Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA) Blended Training course was developed to provide an alternative for individuals to complete the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food course. The Blended course consists of 2 parts. Part 1 is online and Part 2 is instructor-led. Both parts must be completed in order to obtain the certificate. Any Lead Instructor can provide a one-day Part 2: Instructor-Led course, and you can search for upcoming courses and Lead Instructors on the FSPCA Community website.
Once you begin the process, you have up to six months to complete the Part 1: Online course. Upon completion, you have six months to complete a Part 2: Instructor-Led course. We recommend you have a Part 2: Instructor-Led course identified before enrolling in Part 1: Online.
Before you enroll for Part 1: Online course, please read the background information to help you understand how the course is structured and what options will work best for you.
Temporary FSPCA Part 2 Course Completion Extension
Due to limited availability of FSPCA Part 2 courses, the Alliance has agreed to temporarily extend the completion deadline for Part 2 courses to 9 months. This change will be in effect until May 31, 2020, with the potential for extending this date pending updates on the pandemic.
Upon completion of the
Part 1: Online course, participants will now have 9 months to enroll and complete a
Part 2: Instructor-Led course.
This course provides the participant the knowledge and tools needed to perform the duties of a Lead Instructor for the standardized training curriculum that FDA considers adequate in meeting the requirements for training of a preventive controls qualified individual under the Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Food rule.
The course content is focused on strategies to aid in the effective instruction of the food safety activities and documentation that support the creation and implementation of a preventive controls Food Safety Plan. Administrative tasks for issuing Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance certificates is also covered as well as a refresher on effective presentation for the adult learner.
Upon successful completion of the full, 3-day FSPCA Lead Instructor Course for Human Food, you will be trained to be a Lead Instructor by the FSPCA. Completing this training allows you to deliver the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food course as a Lead Instructor. You will receive email notification upon completion of the course with instructions on how to download the Lead Instructor for Human Food FSPCA certificate of completion.
- Successful completion of the FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Course
- Must be an approved FSPCA Lead Instructor candidate to register
- Participants must attend the entire 3 days
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be selected as a Lead Instructor Candidate.
Applicants must have at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following sciences:
- biological sciences
- food science /technology
- veterinary science
- animal science
- public health
- environmental health
- or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to the human or animal food industry
Applicants must have at least five years of food safety work experience in or with the human or animal food industry, e.g.,
- food processing
- handling facilities
- corporate food safety function
- food safety consulting or laboratory
- food testing
- food safety auditing
- food safety training and education
- food safety regulatory work (inspections, policy development, compliance work)
- or other related experience
Food Safety Training Instruction Experience
Applicants must identify specific courses / programs they have delivered as an instructor. The committee will determine relevance of the experience and may consider:
- HACCP instruction experience
- Combinations of different food/ food safety courses (including feed)
- Academic teaching experience
Before you begin your application, we strongly recommend you consult the How to submit an FSPCA Lead Instructor Application document.This document provides IMPORTANT information, step-by-step directions and helpful hints pertaining to the completion of your Lead Instructor Application.
- For detailed information, prerequisites and to register for Lead Instructor courses, click on the date.
- It will be important for you to be present at the class for the entire time in order for you to receive your Lead Instructor certificate. Failure to demonstrate understanding of FSPCA training materials through participation in exercises, questions asked, teach back observations may result in you not receiving your Lead Instructor certificate.
- If registration for a particular course is not yet open, the link will be disabled.
- Only approved Lead Instructors for Human Food Candidates are able to register. Other prerequisites may apply depending on course type
- Course dates and locations are subject to change.