- A major defect if in the seal area, or when delamination, anywhere in the inner or outer plies of the pouch, is in excess of 1 cm2 (or equivalent area).
- A minor defect if outside the seal area, or when delamination, anywhere in the inner or outer plies of the pouch, is less than 1 cm2 (or equivalent area).
Delamination is a separation of the laminate materials. This can occur anywhere on the pouch.
- If at the seal, the bars were too hot during the seal formation.
- If located elsewhere on the pouch, the material bond strength is inadequate.
- The residual air in the retort pouch was not properly controlled to eliminate sharp corners on the edge, which would make the pouch expand during retorting.