IIT IFSH/FDA Ph.D. Scholarship Opportunities In Food Safety And Applied Nutrition Research
The Institute for Food Safety and Health (IFSH) at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) would like to invite applications for Ph.D. scholarships from candidates pursuing a Ph.D. degree conducting food safety and applied nutrition research in collaboration with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The scholarships are funded by the FDA. Ph.D. candidates will be enrolled at the Department of Food Science and Nutrition of Illinois Institute of Technology.
Potential research project areas include:
- Effects of processing and allergen control practices on allergen destruction and removal.
- Growth kinetics and transcriptomic analysis of pathogen survival during sublethal stresses of low moisture, pH, and processing environments.
- Release of organic and inorganic substances from polymer-clay nanocomposite food contact materials.
- Two Ph.D. scholarships will be available.
- Each scholarship will cover full tuition plus $26,000 stipend per year, for three years.
- Applicants will need to be US citizens or Green card holders, and will need pass security clearance for working in FDA and IIT laboratories.
- Successful candidates will be jointly supervised by IIT IFSH Department of Food Science and Nutrition faculty and FDA scientists.
- Minimal enrollment requirements:
- Must hold a Master of Science Degree in microbiology; chemistry; biology; food science; nutrition; chemical, agricultural, food, or environmental engineering; or a related field.
- Meet all entrance requirements of the university's Graduate College, plus minimum cumulative undergraduate and graduate GPAs of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; a GRE score of at least 304 (combined quantitative and verbal).
- Curriculum vitae demonstrating academic credentials.
- Two reference letters.
How to apply:
Application information and deadline:
Please submit application by May 1, 2019 at https://admissions.iit.edu/graduate/apply
Please contact Renee McBrien with any questions at 312.519.5552, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Institute for Food Safety and Health (IFSH) is a consortium among IIT, FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN), and the food industry. IFSH comprises 50 IIT faculty and staff, 50 FDA scientists of CFSAN’s Division of Food Processing Science and Technology physically co-located in the building, over 60 industry member companies, and a strong and growing graduate degree education program, with a current enrolment of 95 graduate students. IFSH is a unique and one-of-a-kind institute in the nation where FDA, academia and the industry join forces and conduct research in a neutral ground to address major national food safety and nutrition issues.