The Virtual Better Process Control School (BPCS) is a school designed for manufacturers of shelf stable, acidified and low-acid foods (including pet foods). The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations in 21 CFR 108, 113, and 114 require that acidified and low acid food manufacturers operate with a certified supervisor on hand at all times during production. This BPCS also meets U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) regulations 9 CFR 431 for shelf stable, thermally processed meat and poultry products.
The course is delivered remotely in real time via online WebEx Training platform. Participants must be present for the entire course and have reliable access to the internet and a computer or mobile device with video conferencing capabilities.
Personnel working in facilities that manufacture thermally processed foods, acidified or low-acid foods, including R&D, food safety, regulatory, QA, retort operators, plant personnel and supervisors.
Instructors for the course are approved by FDA, and have years of practical industry experience.
Course participants will complete all exams online. The passing grade for each exam is 70%.
Upon successful completion of the course, and passing the required exams, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion by email.
SCHEDULE OVERVIEW: 2:00 PM-7:30 PM (Central Time)
- Track 1 – Virtual Acidified Foods Only BPCS: May 11-14, 2021
- Track 2 - Virtual Full BPCS: May 11-14, 17, 18, & 19, 2021
Track 1: Acidified Foods Only: May 11-14, 2021
- Chapter 1 - Introduction & Regulations
- Chapter 2 - Microbiology of Thermally Processed Foods
- Chapter 3 - Principles of Acidified Foods
- Chapter 4 – Principles of Thermal Processing
- Chapter 5 - Principles of Food Plant Sanitation
- Chapter 6 - Food Container Handling
- Chapter 7 - Records and Recordkeeping
- Chapter 8 - Equipment, Instrumentation, and Operation for Thermal Processing Systems
- Chapter 16 - Closures for Glass Containers
- Chapter 17 - Flexible and Semi-rigid Containers
Track 2: Full BPCS: May 11-14, 17, 18, & 19, 2021 -In addition to the schedule in track 1, the following chapters will be covered:
- Chapter 9 - Still Steam Retorts
- Chapter 10 - Still Retorts Processing with Overpressure
- Chapter 11 - Hydrostatic Retorts
- Chapter 12 - Continuous Rotary Retorts
- Chapter 13 - Batch Agitating Retorts
- Chapter 14 - Aseptic Processing and Packaging Systems
- Chapter 15 - Closures for Double Seamed Metal and Plastic Containers
Track 1- Virtual Acidified Foods Only BPCS: May 11-14, 2021
- $400 - IFSH Members
- $450 - Non-IFSH Members
Track 2- Virtual Full BPCS: May 11-14, 17, 18, & 19, 2021
- $800 - IFSH Members
- $900 - Non-IFSH Members
Seating is limited. Registration closes on May 1, 2021.
The registration fee includes all instruction, course materials, including the FDA and USDA approved Canned Foods Manual. Course participants will receive a copy of the Canned Foods Manual prior to the course start date. International shipping rates may result in additional participant registration charges.
No refunds will be given after registration payment has been completed. Should you need to cancel, we will credit your registration towards a future BPCS course. If IFSH cancels the event, all attendees will receive a full refund.
If you have any questions regarding registration or course content, please contact Renee McBrien, 773.690.1680 or firstname.lastname@example.org.